Genetic Genealogy Explained
Using state of the art DNA testing individuals can establish if they share a genetic connection with another individual. With over 250,000 people already tested you can join surname projects and find matches around the world.
- Genetic Genealogy is for individuals using DNA testing to support their Family History Research. The tests include full online access to find relatives who share the same DNA and establish a genetic match. Genetic Genealogy results include information about your deep ancestry and migration routes.
Common uses of DNA Testing are:
- People who suspect they may be related but want to prove the fact.
- For adopted individuals looking to find out if they have any genetic cousins around the world.
- Individuals wanting to join surname projects or establish what their genetic surname was.
- People interested in finding out about their deep ancestry.
Genetic Genealogy Packages
Exploring your genetic genealogy can be done using Y-DNA for your paternal line, mtDNA for your maternal line and Autosomal DNA for everything else. Each test provides different information so we have put together some combined packages. Each of the tests can always be purchased separately.
Males Packages (or where a male can be tested for Male ancestry)
- Male Genetic Genealogy Level 1 - Combination Gold (YDNA 37 + mtDNA Plus) This is a great package and suitable for most individuals starting out in using DNA for their Family History Research - Total Cost is £249
- Male Genetic Genealogy Level 2 - Combination Gold (YDNA 37 + mtDNA Plus) and Family Finder. This is a great package and suitable for most individuals wanting a full picture of their Ancestry - Total Cost is £549
- Male Genetic Genealogy Level 3 - Combination Platinum Plus (YDNA 67 + mtDNA Full Sequence) and Family Finder. The most complete package including testing 67 YDNA markers and a full sequence of your mitochondrial DNA - Total Cost is £749.
Female Packages (where no male can be tested)
- Female Genetic Genealogy Level 1 - Maternal Silver (HVR 1+2) and Family Finder. This package is suitable for most females individuals looking to trace their ancestry - Total Cost is £459
- Female Genetic Genealogy Level 2 - Maternal Gold (full mtDNA) and Family Finder. This package is the most advanced package for female ancestry and including sequencing your entire mtDNA code - Total Cost is £599
Ancestry by DNA
At Home Mouth Swab Collection
Can Be Taken by Males
Can Be Taken by Females
Paternal Migration Routes
Maternal Migration Routes
Top 20 Population Matches
Ethnic Ancestry % Breakdown
Online Database Access
Surname /Lineage Projects
Helps Find Genetic Relatives
Number of Markers (Up to)
Full mtDNA Code
Type of DNA Tested
£129 - £279
£129 - £399
Free Shipping (UK)
Makes A Great Gift
Order DNA Test